Chilean television: emissions of university cable market

Since the beginning of television, the Chilean public has been demanding with the quality of their programs. Today's main concern focuses on viewers receive better service (quality and variety) both open TV channels as cable operators.

Origins of the Chilean television

Chilean television emerged in 1957 when at the Catholic University of Valparaiso were broadcast for the first time images of Brazil Avenue and Baron Hill. In August 1959, the UCV made the first official television broadcast, using the frequency 8. The activity was developing slowly and emissions were captured by receivers arranged in parts of the port city.

Despite this issue, it is assumed as the first official transmission that made by the Catholic University of Santiago, the 21 of August 1959 2 by frequency. In a first stage it was passed on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, one or two hours daily. They had a video transmitter 200 wats. It is transmitting from the top floor of the headquarters of the university, with a six-meter directional antenna.

- Advertising -

That same year he changed the frequency 2 to 13 and simultaneously broadcasts live programs on Tuesdays and Thursdays were regularized, while transmitting film Saturday. TV development is further accelerated on the occasion of the World Cup held in Chile in 1962.

Parallel to this process was created at the University of Chile an audiovisual department from the merger between the departments of film, radio and university Cinematheque. At first the idea was not to create an open television channel, but rather a closed loop system that would unite the different schools of the university were physically far apart.

Due to the success of the system, the authorities decided to use the medium as a method of cultural outreach to the community. Regular broadcasts began on 4 1960 November.

university TV

Linked to its rapid technological development, it is noteworthy that the Chilean higher education centers enjoyed great prestige both nationally and internationally. Therefore, the TV channels that emerged in the sixties did the eaves of universities. There was no legal rules to govern its operations, therefore guided by guidelines that came from their own academic authorities including some rules, especially regarding its programming content.

National Television of Chile (TVN)

From 1969 a national network of state television product of the enactment of the 17.377 law, which granted a necessary condition for the emergence of National Television of Chile law, as well as providing other issues of importance to the development of television in general was created such as the legal recognition of existing university channels, setting targets for programming stations and the creation of the National Television Council, which monitors compliance with the objectives set out in the legislation. TVN currently develops as an autonomous state enterprise, administered by a board and an executive director.

Different was the situation 13, channel Television Corporation of the Catholic University of Chile, which has maintained its characteristic college and is located as one of the Latin American television channel more development. Besides being one of the pioneers at the national level, it has very high ratings and coverage 100% in Chilean territory.

new channels

Since the nineties, he joined the list of existing channels Megavisión SA, the first private channel in a Chilean television market. 1993 comes from live across the country.

Currently Megavisión SA, is associated with Mexican network Televisa, which owns 40% of the shares of the company. The rest is owned communications company CIECSA, chaired by Ricardo Claro.

Similar features is the network, also private and foreign participation in ownership channel. The 51% belongs to Newspaper Consortium SA (COPESA), and the remaining 49% CamWest Global Communications Corp.

In the same plane associations, 11 Chilevisión channel, to be the channel of the University of Chile, he partnered with Venezuelan network Venevisión of the Cisneros Group, which controls the 99% of the channel. The remaining 1%, belongs to the University of Chile.

To this list should be added the newest of the Chilean channels. This is Rock & Pop, a channel that focuses its programming primarily to young people and operates in Santiago since August 16 1995.

Apart from the coverage achieved by larger channels in the country (Megavisión, National Television of Chile, Corporation of Television of the Catholic University and Chilevisión), must be added the regional networks that have these channels.

Cable TV

For some years the cable TV phenomenon has been increasing dramatically, taking into account the number of subscribers. According to information provided by the operators, the country has more than 350.000 households subscribed and a growth rate of 20%.

This increase in pay TV motivated the study and creation of a control system in accordance with the national reality.

The impact of the cable is now reflected in a series of qualitative differences in relation to television. Only the number of hours of transmissions can illustrate this difference: reception channels emit a 44 thousand hours a year, while cable has a programmatic supply of over one million in the same period.

The phenomenon in which the cable became mainly a year to date, is of national dimensions. Although about 60% of subscribers belonging to Santiago, the subscription process covering the whole country. From Arica to Punta Arenas, almost all cities with more than 70 thousand inhabitants have some cable TV service. In Chile 51 urban centers are operating 68 broadcast stations.

In addition to geographical coverage, this television mode has penetrated a large sector of society. While at first the cable was an alternative to the upper classes, day today the situation has noticeable changes. The middle and lower middle sectors are an important growth market, generating insight into the people's communes called by the operators.

Cable companies operating in Santiago have created coalitions making the market is in the hands of a few. The merger between Intercom and Metropolis on the one hand, and on the other the union between VTR and Cableexpress has made the service more attractive to subscribers, who ultimately benefit from better service and a greater number of signals are operator.

Pay TV regulation

The National Television Council, which monitors the performance of television channels, has also set his sights on cable operators and for it installed an office responsible for reviewing emissions in order to monitor the material seen by users system.

Special emphasis on control of the programming content of excessive violence, pornography, truculence or participation of minors in acts odds with morality and decency is. It also sets the times it is possible to transmit advertising of alcohol and snuff, and the issuance of qualified adult films.

Quoting products and technical services for Latin America

Latest Posts

    • Avatar for equilibrioo2
    • Film Distributors
    • I'm looking for content distributors (movies, TV shows, cartoons, etc.) in Mexico, it's for a new Regional Television channel.
    • View Post
    • sale of video equipment
    • I am selling video equipment in Brazil, USED CONDITION. Following is an attachment. CAMERA SONY PDWF800 CAMERA SONY PDW680 FUJI HD LENS ...
    • View Forum Posts Private Message
    • Solution with the KDS-DEC6
    • Could you describe the video solution for an 90 x 80 m auditorium with devices including the KDS-DEC6, led display and outputs

Latest Reviews

  • In Colombia a company I quote a team of those for about 60 million pesos ... it's a shame because ...

    Read more...

     
  • I AM SELLING SOURCES OR BALASTS FOR LUMINOTECNIA OF SECOND GERMANY MARK DESISTI DEB ...

    Read more...

     
  • My sincerest congratulations. It is a professional in which you can have the full confidence that ...

    Read more...

     
  • Good evening, I'm looking for Panasonic AG-UX90 TRIPODE BGO3AA semi new camera to buy.

    Read more...

     
  • Greetings: As I can empesar.los online courses

    Read more...