Mexico. The Federal Institute of Telecommunications, IFT, published the 2.0 version of the Probability Calculator for the use of ICT and Internet activities in Mexico, which is an online interactive tool that allows to know the probability that a person uses any ICT or perform certain activities on the internet, depending on your age, sex, educational level, occupation, income level and place of residence.
The first version of the Calculator, presented by the IFT in 2018, allows to know the probability of using the internet and of devices such as a computer or a mobile phone; as well as carrying out online activities such as purchases, payments, banking operations and interaction with the Government.
This new version contains updates among which are:
- The probability of using a conventional and an intelligent mobile phone is analyzed separately.
- It integrates the use of social networks and the consumption of paid audiovisual content in the activities carried out on the Internet.
- The option of rural and urban disaggregation is added in the demographic characteristics that can be selected for a more precise analysis.
The tool is based on the results of the study on the use of ICT and online activities in Mexico: Impact of the sociodemographic characteristics of users, carried out at 2018 by the Institute, which was developed with information from the National Survey on the envelope Availability and Use of Information Technologies in Homes (ENDUTIH), published in 2018, which is representative at the national level, by federative entity with disaggregation by rural and urban area, and for 49 selected cities.
The 2.0 Calculator also shows a summary of the sociodemographic characteristics of the population of each federal entity, as well as data on the penetration and teledensity of fixed and mobile telephony and internet services at the state level.
This tool provides information that can be used by federal, state and 49 cities included for the development of public policies aimed at bridging the digital divide, since it provides information on population groups with less access. Also, it allows to identify the catalysts that can give greater impetus to that gap to decrease, or, the elements that can represent obstacles, since it shows the effect of each characteristic on the probability of use.
The 2.0 Calculator works by following two simple steps:
- The user chooses the device, ICT or internet activity whose use you want to know (computer, internet, conventional mobile phone, or smart mobile phone), or make purchases, payments, banking operations, interact with the government, use social networks or consume audiovisuals of payment);
- Select the sociodemographic characteristics of the profile you wish to analyze (sex, age, education, occupation, income range, state and city of residence).
Once this is done, the tool will show the probability for the selected profile. On the left side, the selected sociodemographic characteristics are presented. At the center, the probability of using ICT or of performing the activity on the internet analyzed; and, finally, on the right, the average probability is shown at the national and state levels considering the entire population of the country and the state, respectively.
The 2.0 Probability Calculator can be consulted on the site: http://calculadoraprob.ift.org.mx and the report Use of ICT and online activities in Mexico: Impact of sociodemographic characteristics of users (2018 version), in the link: http://www.ift.org.mx/estadisticas/adopcion-de-las-tic-y-usos-de-internet-en-mexico-2018